Going green and being debt free one day at a time.April 6, 2008
Welcome to my blog. Over the coming days and weeks I plan to share my frugal lifestyle, my green lifestyle and often, how the two overlap. I became frugal before I truly embraced the green life, and I have been pleased at how well the two mesh together.
Here are some of the things I do to save money.
1. All my lightbulbs are CFL’s.
2. I dry most of my clothes on a drying rack.
3. I open all my blinds and curtains during the day to make the most of the sunlight and when I have to turn the lights on, I only turn them on in the room where I am.
4. I unplug everything except the appliances too big to move. For example, unless I am watching the TV, it is unplugged. Unless I am using the microwave, it is unplugged. From the first month I adopted this practice, my electric bill dropped.
5. I cook a big meal and then enjoy the leftovers. This one would not work for everyone, but luckily, I like leftovers. For example, this weekend, I made vegetable soup in the crock pot, and I have portioned out the rest into single servings to enjoy in the coming week. I have six servings left.
These are just some of my frugal habits. I look forward to sharing more in future posts.